Acne occurs suddenly and can easily ruin not only the appearance, but also the mood. When you search for “acne treatment” on Google, you will find many recipes for homemade masks and talkers, but they only give a cosmetic result, and are often completely ineffective. This is because acne, or acne, as they call it in medical circles, is not a cosmetic flaw, but a marker that indicates malfunctioning of the body. Today we will learn what acne is and how it appears, how to treat acne and prevent complications.
Causes of acne
Acne occurs as a result of inflammation of the sebaceous glands. The gland duct becomes clogged and a comedone (pimple) forms.
Acne vulgaris often accompanies adolescents during puberty between the ages of 12 and 19.
Other causes of acne include:
- changes in hormonal levels as a result of pregnancy, taking oral contraceptives, in the premenstrual period;
- damage, skin irritation;
- improperly selected skin care and cosmetic products;
- gastrointestinal problems;
- improper nutrition;
- smoking, alcoholism;
- taking medications;
- endocrine system diseases;
- excessive sweating;
- genetic predisposition.
Acne can also occur as a result of prolonged exposure to the skin of oil products, dioxin, lubricants. Therefore, at risk are people who, by the nature of their activity, are constantly in contact with these substances.
Symptoms of acne
The main symptom of acne is the appearance of nodules and pustules on the face. There are three types of acne:
- comedone (closed, open) – formed as a result of blockage of the mouth of the hair follicle with keratinized skin particles;
- pustule (epidermal, dermal) – an abscess in which an active inflammatory process takes place, usually quite painful
- papule – looks like a pustule, but there is no pus in it, it appears as a result of inflammation of the follicles.
In some cases, an acute course of the disease is observed, which is characterized by an increased body temperature, headaches, numerous acne eruptions throughout the body.
Depending on the stage of development, the clinical picture of the disease is also different:
- At the initial stage of the disease, no more than 10 non-inflamed acne appears.
- With the transition to the middle stage, the number of acne increases and can reach 40 pieces.
- The severe stage is characterized by the fusion of multiple rashes, hyperpigmentation, and scarring.
Doctors also identify several forms of acne:
- focal lesion with pustules and ulcers, which is accompanied by fever;
- focal appearance of fistulas with abscess followed by scarring;
- the formation of papulonecrotic rashes in the forehead;
- infant rash on the cheeks.
Treatment of acne and acne begins with determining the shape and stage of the disease.
To determine the cause of acne, you should undergo a full examination. This problem should be addressed to a dermatologist. It is he who will prescribe the necessary studies and tests for acne.
Diagnostics to establish the causes of acne include:
- taking tests for a certain type of hormones that regulate the work of the sebaceous glands;
- taking tests for glucose tolerance;
- consultations of related specialists, to exclude diseases of a gynecological, endocrine nature, which have caused rashes.
Acne in adolescents often occurs at the beginning of puberty, when there is an active work of the sebaceous glands. Since the pores on the face, back and chest are the widest, these areas are more likely to be affected by rashes.
Therapy includes two types of drugs:
The treatment of acne must be approached systemically. Masking rashes is not only ineffective, but also harmful: this way you can aggravate the condition of your skin.
No matter how convincing the advertisement looks, alas, there is no single magic acne remedy that would suit everyone and help to cope with the disease once and for all. Only a doctor will be able to determine the cause of your acne and will prescribe a competent treatment regimen.
The mild stage of the disease is treated with external agents, the task of which is to prevent the development of an active inflammatory process and the growth of bacteria. After establishing the diagnosis, the doctor will prescribe you ointments, gels and creams with active ingredients in the composition. In the fight against acne, it is important to properly care for your skin. A specialist will definitely advise you on means for cleaning and moisturizing your skin.
Treatment for acne in adolescents and adults with more severe acne lesions is medication with topical therapy. First of all, treatment is aimed at eliminating the root cause of the rash – problems with hormonal levels, gastrointestinal tract, etc.
If you decide to start acne treatment, the dermatologist at the hospital will help you to approach the issue comprehensively. With dermatologist, you can undergo a full examination of the body, pass the necessary tests and get advice from other specialists, if necessary.
Acne is not just a harmless cosmetic defect. Self-medication and inadequate care can lead to scarring and scarring that are very difficult to get rid of. By masking rashes with foundation and powder, you not only clog pores, but also provoke the appearance of new pimples. The problem needs to be solved, not hidden under makeup.
Start your journey to clean, healthy skin with a visit to your doctor.