In Italy there are about 4 million men between 18 and 60 who suffer from premature ejaculation, with a worldwide prevalence of approximately 30%. It is the most frequent male sexual dysfunction, with a significant impact on the quality of life and also with negative effects on the couple’s relationship. But why does it manifest itself?
Premature ejaculation is one of the most common male sexual dysfunction: seems to involve man 1 out of 3 and is characterized by a reflection ejaculatory anticipated compared to the expectations of the pair or of the individual.
When do we talk about premature ejaculation?
Technically, we speak of premature ejaculation when the ejaculatory reflex occurs within two minutes of penetration into the vagina while the European average considers the times ranging from 6 to 7 minutes to be normal.
When this discomfort occurs in a patient, it is the task of the andrologist to interpret the origin and seek together a therapeutic path.
What are the possible causes of premature ejaculation?
One of the first things to analyze to understand what premature ejaculation depends on is a local problem, at the level of the penis shaft and sometimes the presence of short frenulum, phimosis or a hypersensitive glans can be the main and only causes premature ejaculation. In these cases, a simple minor frenuloplasty or a more extensive circumcision surgery could solve the problem.
Sometimes the problem arises from low levels of serotonin. It is a neuromodulator that also has the ability to contain and slow down the ejaculatory reflex. Those who have a lower presence of serotonin in the brain and medulla, where there are the centers of regulation of the ejaculatory reflex, could suffer from premature ejaculation.
In these cases the therapies are of the serotonergic type, both natural and pharmacological . In the first case, we find nutraceuticals such as griffonia, a plant that supplies the brain with tryptophan, which is an amino acid useful for the synthesis of serotonin. In the case of medical approaches, however, one can consider molecules that fall within the field of antidepressants, some marketed precisely for the management of premature ejaculation.
Sometimes this disorder can have a psychogenic or emotional origin and in this case, more than the andrologist, the necessary figure is the clinical sexologist.
What to do against premature ejaculation?
Premature ejaculation is a simple topic in the definition but complex in the management due to the multiplicity of symptoms with which it occurs and above all for the causes for which it can occur. The first step is to contact the andrologist in order to identify in a rational and objective way what may be the causes for taking a path that can lead to an organic or psychological management of the problem.
10 things to do if your partner is suffering from premature ejaculation
10 simple rules that help a woman to bring her him to the doctor’s office.
- Recognize that there is a problem, called Premature Ejaculation , and consider the relationship from your point of view.
- Reflect on your sexuality , especially how much and how it has changed in meeting a partner suffering from Premature Ejaculation .
- Explore your partner’s feelings in relation to Premature Ejaculation , “listening” to their silence as well and being welcoming.
- Avoid engaging in negative feelings , deal with guilt, and try to control aggression.
- Document yourself appropriately, to improve your ability to communicate and to enhance resources while waiting.
- Find the right time to talk about it, in a setting that conveys calm and a sense of intimacy.
- Talk honestly to your partner about the difficulties you are having in talking to him about Premature Ejaculation .
- Try to really realize, both of you, that a shared problem is already half solved and that Premature Ejaculation has not challenged the strength of the couple.
- Share emotions with your partner, to find a common interpretation and implement strategies that involve you over time.
- Convince your partner to seek the help of a specialist doctor and accompany them if they wish. Then try to be an integral part of his care path.